Monday, June 9, 2008

Massey-Harris Ferguson DEO 25 Hay Rake





This last weekend I finished restoring a1953 Massey-Harris Ferguson DEO 25 9 foot side delivery hay rake. This rake is 3pt, PTO driven, not ground driven like all of the other rakes available from the other manufacturers. This is one of the largest implements that Harry Ferguson made for his tractors. It weighs in at approximately 1000lbs and the tractor is required to have front wheel weight in order to lift the rake and still be able to steer properly. The DEO 20, 7 foot model was way more popular than the larger 9 foot model. I purchased this rake from the family of a retired farmer in Livermore California. I pulled it out of the weeds 8 months ago and now it is good as new and field ready to work for another 5o+ years.

The curious thing about this particular rake is that it was made by Massey-Harris Ferguson in Canada. Previous DEO's were made in Detroit and the manufacturers metal plate states the name of the company as Harry Ferguson Inc. Detroit Michigan. After 5 years of producing the TO tractors in Detroit, Harry decided to quit producing tractors in the USA and wanted to find someone to produce his tractors. He met with Massey of the Massey-Harris tractor company in Canada and Massey agreed to buy the Ferguson company for 16 million dollars in 1953. As a result, the new company named Massey-Harris Ferguson was born. All of the tractor and implement manufacturing moved from Detroit to Toronto. In 1955 the company changed it's name to Massey-Ferguson as Harris had left the company before Massey bought Ferguson. The Massey-Ferguson company still exists today and is owned by Agco. The Massey-Harris Ferguson company only existed for 2 years before the name change in 1955. This rake was gray as all of the rakes from Harry Ferguson and Massey-Harris Ferguson were. The rakes produced from 1955 on were all Massey-Ferguson red.

Chas

12 comments:

  1. Charles,

    Nice job. I am just finishing up a 7 ft Ferguson DEO 20 rake. Is the Ferguson script name original on the left cross member?? I can't find a way to duplicate that, but I do have a Ferguson script logo I had made but does not have the white outline. Also, what are the white "tape" on some teeth mean??

    Phil Fenner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm restoring a Massey-Ferguson model #25 hay rake. I need the large belt pulley, approx 22" in dianmeter. Which is held in place by 5 bolts. If you can help me please phone me at 386-740-8928 or email me at eorlong65@cfl.rr.com

    Thank You!

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need the left wheel mount that goes to the frame on a DEO 20 . Any clues ? Thanks Dan Denning denning@montrose.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i have a very rusty D-EO-20 ferguson rake that will work but needs a new belt installed i have the belt but not sure how to install any help would be great thanks Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Barry,
    there are 2 ways that I know of to put on a new belt. The first is to remove the 6 rake tooth bars at the attachment to the back of the large plate that is connected to the pulley. Then you remove the bolts from the plate to the pulley and at that point you can loosen the adjustment pulley and put on the new belt and tension it up and re-assemble the rake. The second way is to purchase a perforated adjustable V-belt from MacMaster Carr or Granger, loosen up the adjustment pulley, determine the length, and tension up the belt. Even if you use the original belt and disassemble the rake for installation, it is a good idea to have a perforated adjustable belt just in case the belt breaks while out in the field raking. The same width/depth belt also fits the tractor for a quick fix in the field! Good luck and thanks for visiting my blog.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie, Thanks for the information on installing the belt. haven't been able to get back to it yet but will try soon thanks again Barry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Ferguson DE020 for sale. It is missing a bearing. I would like some suggestions on how much to ask for it. Any ideas?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Ferguson DE020 for sale. It is missing a bearing. I would like some suggestions on how much to ask for it. Any ideas?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    Where can I the bearings and bushings for the bars on both sides?

    God bless,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  10. where do you buy the belt for an old Massey Ferguson side delivery rake? Model 25.

    ReplyDelete
  11. where do you buy the belt for an old Massey Ferguson side delivery rake? Model 25.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charles, I have one the D-EO-20's and bought a belt from the local Massey dealer, but it was too long. The one they sold me was 7/8" x 107" I believe, and I think the one I'm needing is 103" long. What have you seen these use? I'm wondering if someone changed out the pto pulley?

    Some of the bearings on the spider arm seem to not be moving well. Sounds like they're sealed. Are they hard to replace? How do you get the shaft out?

    ReplyDelete